今日推荐英文原文：《Don’t Let the Convenience of Working From Home Corrupt Your Work Ethic》
推荐理由：如果要在使用 npm 时一次同时执行数个命令的话，npm 提供了 & 类的方式来一次输入数个命令，而这个项目也提供了类似的功能。除此之外，这个项目还能区分不同命令的输出以防止混淆，在不少时候一组命令中只要有一个失败就可以全部终止了，这个项目也提供了特殊的参数来满足这样的需求。
今日推荐英文原文：《Don’t Let the Convenience of Working From Home Corrupt Your Work Ethic》作者：Rivo Kienan
Don’t Let the Convenience of Working From Home Corrupt Your Work Ethic
Productivity is all about being intentionalThere was a time when I used to envy the Japanese concept of Inemuri: sleeping on the job.
But now I have the luxury of taking an afternoon nap in my cozy bed without worrying about embarrassment or risking my job.
Having worked from home since early March, I can press the snooze button without worrying about being late. I can spend time eating lunch on my couch while watching TV instead of grabbing a cold sandwich and eating it on the way back to the office.
Does this mean my work ethic is becoming rusty?
Being someone more productive later in the evening, my productivity is currently through the roof — but only when I am actually in the mood to work.
The truth is, with the flexibility of remote working came the Procrastination syndrome. As there is no defined boundary between office hours and personal time, the tendency to prolong the work later into the evening on the pretext of doing higher-quality work with more time is creeping in.
Three months into the mandatory work from home, there came a moment when I suddenly decided to snap out of this cycle of lazying around during the day and spending late nights trying to catch up.
By consciously challenging your mind and making a few tweaks, you can resurrect your work ethics and be the productivity machine you used to be.
Dress Up Instead of Lounging Around in Pajamas“Dress for the job you want, not the job you have” seems to have gone down the drain.
Forget dressing for the job we want. We are not even dressing for the job we have. Lazying around in pajamas while going into Microsoft Teams or Zoom meetings, staying on mute with the video switched off, and sipping the morning coffee has become the norm.
There are numerous studies on how dressing up affects more than just your appearance — it affects your mindset.
Although you don’t have to walk around wearing your power suit and acting like Harvey Specter at home, dressing up appropriately helps differentiate the environment in your head and puts the mind in a work time mode. It helps bring back the professional body language and boosts self-confidence that you can’t get while sitting in your pajamas.
Create a ChecklistSurprisingly simple yet incredibly effective.
It’s common knowledge that writing down our goals significantly improves the chances of achieving them. Research shows a 42% improvement, to be precise.
Writing down the tasks to accomplish during the day not only helps the brain better process big goals that otherwise appear to be complicated, but it also helps provides a sense of achievement when we tick them off. This, in turn, boosts our morale and helps us remain in the flow state to get more done.
“Under conditions of complexity, not only are checklists a help, they are required for help.” — Atul GawandeI personally have started using the Microsoft To-Do app to write and track my checklist tasks, but other similar apps such as Todoist or a simple book and pen would also suffice.
Be Deliberate in Your Actions — Challenge the Inner VoiceProductivity is all about being intentional.
In her talks, Mel Robbins explains how procrastination is a habit and can be broken using science. The only way to break the pattern is to be deliberate and challenge the inner voice that is pushing you down the procrastination hole.
- Designate a dedicated office space in the home if you haven’t already. Sitting on your bed to work is setting yourself up for failure instantly.
- Eliminate distractions. Keep your personal phone away to avoid getting distracted when you see a forwarded message on WhatsApp or a new post on Instagram.
- Eat that frog. Prioritise and target the task you have been chickening out of because it’s uncomfortable. At the bottom of your heart, you know these tasks would add the most value to your job and morale.
- Adopt a “get it done now” mentality. Interrupt the inner voice trying to distract you when you notice it and push yourself to get it done now. Instead of delaying and sitting on an email response for later, respond to it immediately. If there are actions from business meetings that are straightforward, target to tick them off right after the call.
- Use music to help keep focus. Using soundtracks helps enhance your focus and mood. Music with no lyrics, such as video game soundtracks that are generally designed to help you focus, has worked best in my personal experience.